Sunday, August 5, 2007

My 2 cents...

Hey all, it's Spencer. Molly informs me I must be a contributor on this whole blog thing, so the way I see it, if I throw in a line or two once a quarter, I'll be good to go. It's hard for me to imagine anyone out there would want to sit down and read what I have to say, but I've learned that there is a sick, twisted subculture of 30-something stay-at-home Moms and other sorts of folks who will read just about anything if it's written in a blog. My own dear sweet 30-something stay-at-home wife and her friend recently admitted to reading several blogs from people they didn't even know--just for the fun of it!



Not to leave the guys out of this: I'm sure there are quite a few blog-addicts among the men-folk ranks. I'm not sure they're reading random people's blogs, but they probably waste some amount of productive work-time writing, reading, or surfing blogs. Right now I feel like I'm wasting time just writing a blog, but since I'm doing it, I guess I'll just blog away.

Molly probably had a more eventful (and definitely more entertaining to you readers) experience in our weekend triathlon. My experience started out well . . . that is until I bumped into some other swimmer whom I couldn't see through the pea-green murky water (I should probably say "pee-green"). I came up for a look to see where he was and got a mouthful of water that ended up sliding right on past my food pipe into my air pipe. A few panic-stricken seconds later, I was doing the upside-down breast stroke on my back trying to catch my breath and feeling like the wetsuit I was wearing was slowly but surely shrinking around my ribcage effectively limiting the ability to expand my chest and draw air in. It seemed like it took my quite a while to settle down and get back to swimming.

Eventually I made it out of the water and onto my bike where I felt much more at home. I even chased down and cruised past my first two victims right out of the chute. I didn't feel so cool when I realized they were both riding mountain bikes. Pretty soon I settled into a nice cadance and thought I was doing fine until I got passed by like fifteen or twenty riders doing Mach 10 in full time trial gear and high-tech, multi thousands of dollar bikes. It was amazing to me that even though we were riding on the same road, I was going uphill and they were going downhill.

I was dreading the run, but right from the get go I fell into a good rhythm and actually felt like the run was my strongest leg. It was fun to watch for Molly (who'd started a couple heats after me) and see her cruising along. I was very proud of her!

Overall, I had a great experience. I wasn't fast, but I wasn't dying either. The best part was how hot I looked with my race-number-tattooed, ripling arms glistening in the morning sun as I crossed the finish line amidst throngs of admirers and cheering fans. And that doesn't even mention the looks I got as I ripped the moistened wetsuit off my bronzed body as I came off the first stage swim. No wonder Molly wanted me to do this race with her!

So now life is back to normal. Babies, work, babies, work, babies, work. Sometime this winter I'll have to do another memorable event or something so I have a reason to blog again. Otherwise, life will sound very monotonous. I do hope everyone enjoys reading Molly's updates on our life and family. We sure are happy and blessed.

5 comments:

Brick said...

Spencer - loved the update on the tri. I always considered myself a decent swimmer until I jumped into a cold, murky lake with 100 other people clamoring over me and kicking me in the face. I don't care how many laps you do at the pool, nothing is going to prepare you for that. Keep up the blogging. Jocee hasn't asked me to contribute to hers yet so keep it on the low down.

Amy said...

You Richards are FUNNY folks! You need to be paid for your blog (they do that; I think) ... it is very entertaining.

Your next adventure should definitely be a family drive out to South Dakota. Seriously. That would be something to blog about :) AND we would absolutely LOVE it!!!

Jennifer Wilson said...

Spencer- I loved your account of the triathlon. I can't wait to see those pictures of your "rippling arms glistening in the morning sun!"

Sunni said...

I qualify to read your blog because I am a thiry-something-stay-at-home-mom.
It is fun to get an update. I had no idea you two were in a triathalon. Lance will be interested to hear. Maybe I can even get him to log on. :)

The Jonas Family said...

I just might have to try this bog thing. You know I am a thirty-year old-stay-at-home-mom, so I qualify! They are fun to read and see photos! Thanks for your perspective on things. Great read.