Tuesday, August 28, 2007

How do you do it?!




I think the question that I am asked most these days (hands down!) is "How do you do it?!" The "it," of course, refers to my current life situation. I have newborn twins. I have a needy but adorable little guy that just turned two. I have an almost 4 year old and a 5 year old. I have a house to care for, food to prepare and a husband who probably feels horribly and woefully neglected most of the time. Sigh. But, let me tell you the "it" is everything to me and I love it! How do you do it? You just do! It's all I know...and "it" is enough for me. There....does that answer your question? :)

Here are some answers to a few more of the burning questions that I get asked all the time as a busy, new mother of twins:

Were you on fertility? Absolutely not. I guess we learned I am a double ovulator! :)

Do you nurse them both? At the same time? How? Yes, so far I have nursed them both and yes, at the same time. It is quite an interesting thing to behold, to say the least, but thankfully quite easy and convenient. Thanks to the EZ 2 Nurse twin nursing pillow I learned about online, I can nurse both babies in the "football hold" simultaneously and it is a completely "hands free" operation. You just have to bolt the door and hope that no little neighbor friends wander into the living room while you're nursing. All that full frontal nudity can be shocking! :) And the one big con: it's a show you DEFINITELY can't take on the road.

How do you go anywhere? The short answer is: we don't. Or at least we rarely do. It really is quite an ordeal to load and unload five little people into carseats so I rarely take everyone out without another adult to help out. Grocery shopping with this whole crew? Forget it. I run errands when someone can watch the kiddos at home. Now that school, soccer, dance, etc. are about to start, my homebound bubble is about to burst and we'll have to get out and about more I guess. I'll let you know how that goes....I'm nervous about it.

What do you do when both babies are crying? This actually doesn't happen as often as you would think. During those rare moments when both Jake and Emmy are really wailing...you just pick one! It's that simple. Then try to pick the other one first the next time. It's not rocket science folks. :) Thankfully these little twins are good, good babies. I can see how it could get ugly in a hurry if you had two very needy bambinos.

Do twins run in your family? Spencer and I both have some cousins that are twins and my great-grandmother is a fraternal twin. Whether or not that pre-disposed us to bear twins, I'm not sure. Either way, if they didn't run in our family before, they do now! :)

Are they identical? Honestly, this one kills me. Having boy/girl twins you'd think you wouldn't get asked this but I assure you you do. And more than once. Nope. Jake & Emmy are not identical. But they both are darn cute.

Do they sleep at the same time? For the most part, yes. They are falling into a good little routine and they tend to stick together. Sometimes one will take a great nap and the other will refuse to sleep longer than 45 minutes, but for the most part they sleep simultaneously During those first few sleepless months, when one woke up (usually Jake) I would just wake the other (Emmy) and feed them both at the same time to avoid getting up a million times a night. It worked for us!

How are you doing? WONDERFUL!! I feel so, so blessed every day. The babies are beautiful, healthy and content. I have a wonderful husband and great kids. I am surrounded by incredible friends and family and I feel supported in every way by the people around me. We are doing so, so well and are grateful for all that we have.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS THEY ARE DYING TO HAVE ANSWERED? NOW IS YOUR CHANCE! :)

15 comments:

Spencer Five said...

No questions. Just wanted to wish you luck on Cort's first day of school tomorrow. Elliot is over the moon about going to school!

Amy said...

I just got tears in my eyes thinking of Cort going to Kindergarten!!! Molly... my burning question: how are you so dang cute? huh?!!! I adore you girl. And miss you terribly...

I love the naked bums picture :)

The Jonas Family said...

You seem to be so upbeat! I want to know how you tend to stay that way, or do you just hide it well?

I have two and they seem to give me trouble at times, but then I think Molly has 5 and her youngest are twins! Wow! If she can do it, so can I.

Another questions.. any more kids??

Paige said...

Molly..If anyone can do "it", it is a Mason. Your mom was the same way. She had everything organized, perfect and in control all the time. Well from the outside. I remember her picking kids up at lunch to practice the piano just to fit it all in. You Mason's are amazing. The twins are too die for. I'm coming to hold them next time I am in the neighborhood.

Molly said...

Paige--you BETTER come. I'm holding you to it. It would be so fun to see you after soooooo long!

Molly said...

Jenni---Nope. Absolutely, positively, no more kiddos for the Spencer E. Richards family! :) We are done done done and happy as clams to have FIVE!

Jocee Bergeson said...

I need to come see those darn "things" this weekend...and need to see Macy's necklace she's called to tell me about 12 times! :)

The Jonas Family said...

Have you seen Macy Michelle West? I just got Sunni's announcement of her girl this week. She looks a little like her oldest son (Logan) with lighter hair color. Macy was born on July 5th.

The Begleys said...

Sara (Larsen) here (from chelsea cove days). Found you through Amanda's blog. So good to see you looking so great and happy with your family. I can't believe you have 5 under 5. But ditto what Paige said...your mom is legendary in the "get it done" department. I still have memories of you playing tennis and looking at your watch between strokes so you could make it to your soccer game. Wishing you the best!

The Jonas Family said...

Question... did you plan to have all your children that close in age together, given you didn't plan to have twins at one time?

I first thought I would have 4-6 kids, but I am definitely down to 4, and I already have 2.

Molly said...

Jenni--the spacing of our kids was always planned but getting two for one was definitely a surprise (albeit a WONDERFUL surprise!). We always said we'd just take it one at a time and five turned out to be the magic number for us. Your kiddos are so cute, how could you stop at 4? :)

whit said...

Molly, I tried to get the gypsy story out, last night in fact. I said "Caroline, do you know what happens when little ones don't stay in bed?" "No" "Ahhh...me neither...they get their door closed."
I couldn't do it, and I used to be such a good liar. Maybe some time we'll meet up with you and I can say "Guess what happens at Molly's house..."
Oh, my dad says you need to come and see him at the new tennis club over in NSL. He says one of the tennis teams needs you. He is ever the socialite (he helped open the place).
It would be fun to see you sometime. Glad you are back in town.
Here is my question: Which one do you love more? Just kidding.

Britt said...

I'm not a stalker.. I'm a friend of Jocee's friend (tallona).. anyway... Tallona just referred me to your blog.. I could definitely use any pointers you've got.. I'm have twin girls in December (ack!) .. I'm scared but up for the challenge! you look amazing by the way!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Hey Molly,
This is Kimberlie--Amy's friend from Indiana--the one with the twins. We've met a couple of times. I loved this posting! Don't you love the questions TOTAL strangers will ask you? My favorite was always, "What did you do to get twins? Did you use fertility?" One time I gave a rather matter-of-fact answer that shocked a poor lady---but I can't be held responsible---Jennica and Mary were 2 months old then and I was running on no sleep. ;)
My other favorite questions are:
Which one is the good one?
Oh, they're not identical? Which one is the boy?
Hmmm, ran out of creativity on the second one's name, huh? (Jennica and Mary(so boring, how does Mary live with herself?!?)
Anyway, I just love having twins and despite the craziness (that sometimes still happens--after eight years!) it is so fun to see their little connection. And, seriously, WHAT is cuter than two babies asleep sucking on each other's hands.
Your family is adorable, I'm glad Amy had a link to your blog on her blog. Hang in there on those rough days!

Emily A. Clark said...

I know this is an older post, but I found your blog through one of your comments on mine and have had such fun reading about your family. Especially since our family will look much likes yours w/in the next two months or so. Our boy/girl twins (#4 and #5 will hopefully be here in May). When I first saw your family pic, I thought "wow, she has alot of kids". Then, I realized that will be me soon :) Thanks for this q&a post. Very helpful to me.