Friday, October 12, 2007

Couldn't have said it better myself...

What follows is an excerpt from the book “Twinspiration” by Cheryl Lage, that I read and loved when I was expecting Jake & Emmy. I love her thoughts here and can't help but wonder if Spencer and I are involved in the "extreme sports," "cross-country marathon" or "decathlon" of parenting. Read on and you'll understand. Either way, aren't most of those activities for people who are slightly NUTS?!? NUTS. Yes, finally a fitting description of us. Enjoy...

“Women who have two children closely born will regularly tell
you, “…I know how you feel.” While that comment is notoriously annoying for many twin moms, try not to take offense at the assertion. No, I don’t believe anyone other than a twin mom can actually “know how it feels.” Raising multiples is the extreme sports of parenting.

Our fellow parents with children born within a narrow, yet non-twin, span of time may have only half the difficulty during any single newborn developmental challenge, but their healing refractory window is almost entirely absent. The duration of each stage goes on twice as long. Stair-step families are the cross-country marathoners of parenting.

What of those families who have a singleton and then twins? Or twins, then a singleton? (MOLLY'S COMMENTARY: Or, heaven forbid, 3 stair-step children and THEN twins?!?!) You are the decathletes of parenting! Lend your empathy to all new parents you can. Your perspective should be universally respected.”

Anyway, I don't think our perspective should be universally respected by any means, but her analogy is cute. Recommend this book to anyone you know who is expecting twins. They won't be disappointed. Have a great day!

8 comments:

Amy said...

you guys rock. I could never do a decathlon.... and you guys do it SO WELL!!!!!!!

Jocee Bergeson said...

That is hilarious...yes, indeed, you are doing some extreme sporting at the Richards household. We need to get together next week! :)

whit said...

Molly, if it is the decathlon of parenting, I know few people who could juggle it all like you always have. And I hope I never get the chance to read that book!

samandbrodi said...

Molly...I do not know if you know this, but my two sisters have both had twins. Their kids are now older (both sets are older than 12 years old), but I will mention this book to my sisters. Both sets of twins have great bonds with each other. Glad to hear you guys are doing well and Brodi and I look forward to seeing you all soon-----

Sam

jo6446 said...

Enjoy the updates and marvel that you have the time.

Britt said...

I am blog stalker. My name is Brittany Haggard. I have commented once before. 29 weeks pregnant with twin girls. It's getting close and I'm getting paranoid as to how I will juggle a 3 yr old, a 2 yr old and newborn twins. ack! So if you have any advice.. I would appreciate it. I don't ask just anyone... but we don't have any helpful women in our ward that have good twin advice (that sounds mean, I know.). ;) britnbrad@hotmail.com

The Jonas Family said...

I use to want to have twins, but now I say one at a time. I have two, 18 months apart, although I know it is nothing like twins! Plus you have more kids! Keep up the great work!

Cheryl Lage said...

Molly, I am beyond touched by your kind words re: Twinspiration; and beyond impressed with your STUNNING family!

Girl, you KNOW you are the Bruce Jenner (does that date me? ;) ) of decathalon parenting!

With GREAT joy I am adding yours to our listing of "Favorite Twin Family Blogs" on Twinsights.com.

What a blessed holiday you all will have this year :). Your kind words (and the images of your beautiful family) have already blessed mine!