Wednesday, November 28, 2007

THIS could happen to you....



The perfect caption for this pictures is THIS could happen to you! TWINS! Our good friends from our Muncie, Indiana days, the Torries, stopped by this past week for a quick visit. The Torries paved the way into the wonderful world of multiple births and had boy/girl twins just a few weeks after we moved away. Their twins, Brooklyn and Colby, are standing at the very back of this pack of children and are just days younger than Caleb...2 years old now. We hadn't seen their kiddos for quite a while so it was especially fun now that we have a set of boy/girl twins of our own to let the kids run around wild while we caught up and exchanged experiences on the rigors of raising lots of little people simultaneously. Between the two couples we had 9 children under the age of 7 scampering around our basement (one of the Torrie's boys was asleep upstairs on our couch and didn't make the photo). Good times! Thanks for coming to see us Torries!

On another note: You know when you have a conversation with someone that you know they probably don't remember at all, but for some reason what was said really sticks with you? Well, I had one of those conversations almost exactly 6 months ago with my brother-in-law John. The babies were tiny tiny and John was in town for their blessing day, seeing them for the first time. The baby of John's own family had relatively recently turned one and talking about that darling little boy I said to John something along the lines of: "I bet seeing these tiny babies makes you SO glad that you have all of this behind you. Don't you love knowing you never have to go back through some of these stages again?" I guess I was expecting him to say yes and go on and on about how great it was to have certain baby stages and challenges behind you "forever" but his answer has stuck with me for a long time. Instead of what I expected he commented that: No, it was actually kind for sad to him to think that he wouldn't experience those things again. He acknowledged that it was fun to watch their kids grow but that he loved every little stage and accomplishment.

Fortunately, or unfortunately (not sure which) my personality is such that I tend to relish checking things off, getting things done and going going going as fast and as hard as I can (even when I shouldn't...Spencer reminds me of this frequently). I worry that sometimes I may not enjoy NOW for what it is, instead of working and looking forward excessively. That conversation with John stuck with me and thanks to his advice, I have tried to enjoy "every little stage" of the twins lives to date and can't believe how fast they have grown and changed. It makes me teary just thinking about it. These pictures show how they've grown up in just 6 1/2 short months--it is unbelievable. Thanks John, for lots of things, but particularly for helping me appreciate every day.

FROM THIS:


TO THIS:


3 comments:

Natalie said...

Molly and Spencer,

Those kids of yours are adorable! It's amazing how quickly they all grow up, huh? Great pictures and a great blog entry, as usual. :)

jamkmb said...

Molly, I have plenty more advice where that came from. Unfortunately, I can't just keep dishing out these nuggets for free - it'll probably cost you something next time.

Jake and Emmy look great.

JR

Meghan said...

molly
i am sure you don't remember me from HS - i found you through paige/amanda. i am rob christensen's (& angel barlow) sister and i found your blog a few months ago when i had brand new b/g twins. i have been watching yours grow and getting excited for mine to follow - get bigger, sit up, roll over, sleep through the night, etc... in the hard moments it is easy to look forward to what might seem like easier times (even though there will always be challenges with 2). but in doing so i think i am missing some of TODAY. thanks for teaching me that and for helping me enjoy my today with these little babies.
meghan webb